Sunday, January 03, 2016

Scraps Happen

I had plans.  Really, I did.  I had plans to finish a bunch of quilts before I started any new ones.  I had plans to get my house a bit cleaner before I left for my first trip of the year.  I had plans to organize my sewing room a bit more.  I had plans ... and then this happened:


I got my latest issue of Missouri Star's BLOCK magazine in the mail.  I saw a quilt in there that I absolutely loved and said "Hey, I think I can make that from my scraps!"  I looked in my box of five-inch squares and found 50-ish squares that were black with gold stars.  Then I looked in my 2 1/2-inch strip box and pulled out a bunch of golden brown strips.  I always have yards and yards of white on hand so I was set with backgrounds.

I pieced up a few of these blocks, just to satisfy my "starting a new quilt" craving.  I intend to use this project as my leader/ender project and stitch up some blocks in between finishing other quilts.

Do you subscribe to BLOCK?  Can you guess which quilt I'm making?  Has anything like this ever happened to you?

5 comments:

Laura Sexton said...

Do you have the Block app on your iPad? They automatically upload the issues once you sign in, so you have all the patterns with you everywhere! Love it...

Susan said...

I haven't heard of Block...but I think I'm going to get myself into MORE trouble. I love scraps! In fact instead of cleaning, organizing, etc. I've been organizing my scraps...as least some of them! Some organization has started since working with the scraps but I just can't stay out of my sewing room!!! Can't wait to see what pattern you're working on!

Maria Moore said...

Love my the Block, I have just received my last issue as well. I an thinking you might be making the Square dance quilt. I think I want to make the 4-patch next!

Barb Johnson said...

Are your white strips 1 1/2 wide? I don't get the magazine, but I watch a lot of their tutorials. I saw one recently which captivated me, and I have a feeling that it is the same one you are making! I don't know the name of it, but you take a charm square and surround it with white 1 1/2 inch strips, then surround that with jelly roll strips, then surround it again with white 1 1/2 strips. I think it will look really cool with your black/brown color scheme!

Bonnie said...

Oh you are too, too mean Debby Brown! I don't get the magazine and you teased me to frustration.... I'll be coming back to see if you share more on this scrap buster quilt! Would you mind just working on it for the next week and then blogging so we can all see it??? Laughing at myself here!