Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Globetrotting, block 4: San Juan (the design)

Are you already finished with June's Globetrotting block from Pat Sloan?  To keep you busy until the next block posts on July 1, I want to show my quilting plan for Block 4: San Juan.

I pieced my block and layered it on my batting and backing.  The batting is Quilter's Dream Green batting, made from recycled soda pop bottles.  I had a lot of bits and pieces left over from other quilts, so the eagle-eyed among you might notice that I pieced this batting together with a zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine.

I laid Quilter's Preview Paper over my block and prepared to sketch out my design.  If I don't like it, I can erase the Sharpie marker from the Preview Paper using rubbing alcohol and draw something else.  Picking out stitches is so much harder!


In my previous blocks, I used a swirl, a curve, a straight line, and ribbon candy.

I started with swirls in the pinwheel blocks:


I added the curved line in the center square.  I liked it so much, I doubled the continuous curve.


I sketched straight lines in the light green squares and the cream squares:


I added ribbon candy in the channel formed between the straight lines:


Are you ready to see how to stitch out these designs?  Stay tuned!

No comments: