Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Race to the Bottom

I have a problem.  I have too much fabric and it is out of control.  I toss all of my leftover fabric into a basket so I can cut it into useable pieces later.  Well, later never came and I ended up with three large (huge!) crates of scrappy fabric like this:


I use a modified version of Bonnie Hunter's scrap user's system.  I only save six sizes:

  1. 10-1/2 inch squares
  2. 5 inch squares
  3. 2-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch rectangles
  4. 2 1/2 inch strips
  5. 1 1/2 inch strips
  6. Leftovers to use with Victoria's made-fabric techique.
All of those sizes are still hidden in those three large crates.

Help came from a strange place -- this McCall's Quilting Magazine:



The day it arrived, this one pattern jumped out at me:


It uses hand-applique and machine piecing, but I am altering it to use English paper-piecing instead of machine piecing.  This is a great hand-sewing project for my travels!

I am committed to making this quilt from the contents of my scrap fabric crates:


I am committed to having fewer things in my sewing room this year.  I found stacks of old Christmas cards.  I am enjoying years-old greetings again as I cut them into foundations for my English paper-piecing:



While I am cutting these pieces from each chunk of fabric, I am also cutting that fabric into my scrap user's bits.  Win-win!

So, which will I find first -- this finished quilt or the bottom of my scrap bins?

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Since we all know that fabrics breed overnight in the dark, I'll guess you'll finish the quilt first. :)

Do you have a template you use to cut the Christmas cards to the right size?

Kathy said...

Wish I read this Saturday...just threw out the Christmas cards...darn it!!!....but did you see my hexes tonight...wer'e on the same page!