Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Stop, Drop and Roll Quilt Along, part 4.1

Welcome to step 4 of the Stop, Drop and Roll Quilt Along! I am hosting this for the Old Red Barn Co. Flickr group.

Week 3: We basted our quilts.

This week, we are going to quilt! Are you excited? I certainly am!!!

I live in the woods and lighting in my house is always a problem. I decided to move my sewing table outside to gain as much natural daylight as possible. Along with natural daylight, however, come noises such as birds, airplanes, and lawnmowers. I felt the the benefits outweighed the drawbacks, so enjoy the quilting videos -- and the sounds of my yard.

The machine:
I used my Janome 6600 for this video. I bought it at my favorite quilt store, The Quilt Basket. I have owned this machine for about 2-1/2 years, and the honeymoon is not over. This is a fantastic machine for piecing, and does a superb job of quilting as you will soon see. I used the darning foot on the machine, and I dropped my feed dogs.

The thread:
For the top thread, I used Tutti from WonderFil, color TU01 Sunny.
For the bobbin thread, I used DecoBob. by WonderFil, color DB131 Dark Gold.
Yes, I use different thread on the top and in the bobbin. No, the quilt police have not arrested me yet.

The pre-quilting video:


To check my tension, I quilted some circles and some points. If my stitches looked bad, I would have adjusted the machine until I was happy with the look of my stitches.

I am going to post each video in a separate blog post, so keep checking back.


No comments: