Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Questions answered

So I caught a little bloggy heck *cough*Amy*cough* for not detailing my fabric cutting adventures. Please allow me to clarify.

I try to keep my scraps in order. My style is similar to Bonnie's.

If the fabric is a yard or larger, it gets folded and stored in a bin. If it's smaller than a yard, I cut it into:

10 1/2 inch squares, used for quilt backs and in place of layer cakes:









The 5 inch squares are used for tossed nine patch quilts and in place of charm packs:









The 2 1/2 in strips are used in scrap quits or in place of jelly rolls:








The 2 inch squares are used in scrap quilts:



The 1 1/2 inch strips are used in scrap quilts and in place of honey buns:



I wish I could say that all of my scraps are cut and neatly stored in this manner but they are not. I haven't had many stress-induced cutting sessions lately. For that I'm very grateful.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea!!! Have to attack my scraps, get some fresh rotary cutter blades and start slicin' and dicin'!

Diane said...

your method or Bonnie's I think the key is some kind of "pre cutting" really helps when inspiration or a "oh my I need to make a gift now" strikes.
thanks for sharing.

Marion said...

Hello Debbie,

I love the quilts you have shown, I love the colors. You must be a very busy lady.

The Calico Cat said...

Neat - Do you need a lozenge (Or as my grandmother would have said, "Lozenger."), you have a terrible cough... :o)

The Calico Cat said...

Next question - do you keep fat quarters? (I have sliced & diced up "the remains of a fat quarter" but I tend to keep fat quarters intact.)

Kim said...

So man quilts to be made.....so little time....but you sure have a jump on the rest of us!
Love the quilt show you gave us here :0)..very inspiring.

Happy sewing

Judy D in WA said...

I use pretty much the same system. Sure makes it easy to just grab and sew. Love the quilt show!!!