Tuesday, September 02, 2008

What Did You Do Today?

Most days I can answer that question with mundane things like "work" or "laundry" or "ran errands". Today's answer is "I saved someone's life".
I am a platelet donor. Whenever I have a couple of hours to spare, they hook me up to a fancy machine that takes my blood out, spins it around, keeps some and gives the rest back. Need proof? Check this out:
They give you nice blankets and heating pads if you get chilly. You can see the wires for my MP3 player. I listened to 90 minutes of a good psychic crime novel. When I was done donating, I got a pretty purple bandage on my arm and access to the goodie table:
I ate Cheezits. And I saved someone's life.
If you have a couple of hours to spare, consider donating platelets or whole blood. Someone did it for my mom, and I do it to honor those donors.

1 comment:

The Calico Cat said...

Good for you! They won't take my blood or my husbands...