Friday, July 04, 2008

Finished by Friday

Look at what leftover Joel Dewberry fabrics can make:



The quilt is 36x40, because that's how much fabric I had. I used Mountain Mist White Rose batting. It's a lot thinner than I expected, but it's super soft. This quilt has an incredible amount of drape. Once it's done serving time as a class sample, some baby will love it. Confession, I did buy .5 yards of new fabric for the binding. I didn't have enough scraps to do even a strippy binding.
I teach longarm quilting and rotate my trunk of samples regularly. This one is going into the trunk as a sample of meandering:


My trunk is full of scrap quilts and quilts from kits I've picked up over time. Making myself change out the quilts every 3-6 months is a great motivation for me. When a feathered quilt has to retire, I look through the sewing room for a quilt that would look good with feathers on it. Then I take the time to piece and quilt it. When quilts retire, they are usually given away. I figure in about 150 years, I'll make a dent in the fabric that is already in the sewing room. How did it all get in here?

No comments: