Thursday, July 31, 2008

Book List

The Moon in the Mango Tree by Pamela Binnings Ewen. I read most of this book from Salt Lake City to JFK. It was a direct flight so I didn't get to finish. This book was for my book club at church. The club met for dinner and had a phone interview with the author. I missed it because it was my husband's birthday, but I did get to read the book. It's one of the better books from my club, but it seemed a little disjointed. Usually 'Christian' fiction hammers you over the head (and I don't like that), but this one seemed to almost miss the point. It's a fictionalized account of the author's grandmother's time in Siam and Europe during the Roaring Twenties. Overall, it was somewhat better than meh, but if you are only going to read one book this year, pick another book.

Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. This is the first book in a long series of fantasy quest books. My husband is reading the series and I thought I'd join in the fun. The book was fairly good, but seemed scattered. Maybe it was me, but several times things seemed to happen out of order. A character recovered, only to get sick a few pages later. Someone else wore a new scarf only to receive the scarf as a gift afterwards. Otherwise, interesting story and I will read the second one.
The Crime Writer by Gregg Hurwitz. I will have a tough time conveying how much I enjoyed this book. I read a lot. A LOT. I have a nasty habit, though, of figuring out the book early on and then despising myself for wasting time finishing it. Whereas I did plot out the ending, it was only one of many endings I devised and I was pleasantly carried through the ending, eager to find the resolution. I've never read Hurwitz before, but I will definitely read him again. Trivia: he is Robert Blake's son-in-law.

This book list is incredibly short. Two words explain this: Project Runway. Yes. We finally got cable.

No comments: