Friday, January 05, 2007

New Shoes, New Peanut Butter, and Mondays

I'm back. 100 quilts in 100 days = getting really, really sick for about 2 weeks at Christmas time. Oh, well. It was a vacation of a different sort, I guess.

The day after Christmas I felt pretty lousy but decided to feel lousy in public instead of just feeling lousy at home. DH wanted to go shopping . I didn't have anything in mind but to my surprise I found my new best friend. I bought my trail running shoes last summer. They served me well, but it is definitely time for us to part ways. When I put these new shoes on, my feet started singing. (Really. Other shoppers stopped and listened. It was cool.) I despise shopping, really I do. The proof is that I bought THREE PAIRS (they were seriously on sale). I won't have to shop for running shoes for a year now!!!

For the last week, about 3 times a day, I mention (completely out of the blue), "I love new shoes." My family just shake their collective heads and walk away quietly now.

Do you know what else I love? New jars of peanut butter. You unscrew the lid, peel back the foil .... The aroma! The smooth texture with that little swirl in the middle! Not much in life is better.

I also love Mondays. A whole new week spread out, empty and just waiting to be filled. The possibilities are endless. Mondays are wonderful days.

I love new things.

These revelations are my way of saying "Happy New Year!" It's my favorite time of the year. Our family's biggest holiday is not Christmas or Thanksgiving ... it's New Year's Eve.

Five days into this blessed New Year, I've accomplished little of importance. I'm still recovering from being sick and taking a lot of naps. But there are 360 more days of endless possibility spread out in front of me.

1. I could start exercising again.
Actually I did on Thursday and I am SORE! Whoever said yoga was gentle should go after not exercising at all for nearly 4 months.

2. I could be really disciplined in my work and not be behind like I was for one. entire. year.
I started out this year owing people quilts, but I'm hoping for a calmer, gentler work schedule real soon.

3. I could remember that I am a child of God and live each day focused on Him and not on me.
I think God likes the New Year, too. His whole plan of salvation is about wiping the slate and starting clean. He welcomes the repentant sinner and his mercies are new every morning.

A small glimpse behind the curtain of my mind.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Hi Debby,
I agree with your revelations. But, I'm not exercising yet, haven't been released by the doctor.
Congratulations on your new position at the shop!!!